Sig Mickelson papers
Scope and Contents
Literary productions, research materials, speeches, correspondence, newspaper clippings, business records, audio and video tapes, photographs, books, and motion picture films comprise the Sig Mickelson Papers, 1925-2005, documenting the career of Sig Mickelson as a broadcasting executive and educator. Materials reflect Mickelson's involvement in issues such as freedom of information, freedom of the press, telecommunications legislation, and the role of television in politics.
- Creation: 1925 - 2005
- Mickelson, Sig. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright restrictions apply. Contact repository for more information.
Biographical / Historical
Born in Clinton, Minnesota, Sig Mickelson (1913-2000) was president of CBS News, president of Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty (1972-1975) and vice-president of CBS, Inc., Time-Life Broadcast, Inc., and Encyclopedia Britannica Educational Corporation as well as part of the communications faculty at Louisiana State University, the University of Kansas, the University of Minnesota, Northwestern University, and San Diego State University. He was a Research Fellow of the Hoover Institution, a member of the Board of Directors of Stauffer Communications, Inc. and on the Board of Regents of Augustana College, his alma mater. Mickelson assumed directorship of CBS television's news and public affairs in 1951 and became chief of the combined radio television department in 1954. When CBS News became an autonomous corporate division in the mid 1950s, Mickelson became its first president.
34.7 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Literary productions, research materials, speeches, correspondence, newspaper clippings, business records, audio and video tapes, photographs, books, and motion picture films comprise the Sig Mickelson Papers, 1925-2005.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
2000-200; 2015-181; 2018-087; 2018-113; 2018-178; 2021-203
Collection processed by Briscoe Center staff. Subsequent processing by Evan Usler, July 2011; Esther Kirchner, May 2016; and Colleen Hobbs, September 2022 and February 2023.
- Sig Mickelson Papers, 1925-2005
- Ready To Publish
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- September 17, 2002: Edited with XMetaL 2 by Bill Hardesty, according to instructions in <title xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink" xlink:type="simple" xlink:href="">Editing TARO EAD XML Finding Aids with XMetaL</title>.
- Tue Jul 22 15:28:00 CDT 2003: urn:taro:utexas:cah.00141 converted from EAD 1.0 to 2002 by v1to02.xsl (20030505).
- July 2011: Revised by Evan Usler
- May 2016: Accession 2015-181 added by Esther Kirchner
- September 2022: Accession 2021-203 added by Colleen Hobbs
- February 2023: Accession 2018-113 added by Colleen Hobbs.