Power and Hewetson collection
Scope and Contents
The Power and Hewetson Colony Collection, 1824-1835, concerns the colonization of Texas, particularly James Power’s and James Hewetson’s request to the Mexican government for small islands across from their original land grant. The documents reflect the concern of the Mexicans over the advance and encroachment of the Anglo-Americans, particularly Manuel de Mier y Terán and Martín de León, whose colony comprised part of Power’s original claim. Also included are references to disturbances from the various Indian tribes of the region caused by the secularization of the missions.
- Creation: 1824 - 1835
- Archives of the Comandancia General de la Inspeccion de los Estados Internos de Oriente (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
There are no use restrictions on this collection. Publisher is responsible for complying with copyright law.
After the 1825 Mexican colonization law opened Coahuila and Texas to Anglo-American settlers, James Power (1788?-1852) and James Hewetson (1796-1879) organized Power and Hewetson Colony, petitioned to become empresarios and received a large tract of land between the Lavaca and Guadalupe rivers, which they later expanded to also encompass the area from the Guadalupe River to the Nueces River. James Hewetson had met Stephen F. Austin in St. Louis, Missouri, and then accompanied him to Texas, leading him to decide to seek his fortune in the new territory. Additionally, Power and Hewetson took possession of the abandoned Nuestra Señora del Refugio Mission.
Hewetson eventually sold his interest in the colony although he did retain his headrights and purchased lands. He married a Mexican widow, Josefa Guajardo, and maintained a home in Coahuila, Mexico. He did not take part in the Texas Revolution, but he did visit Texas several times and aided Texans who came through Coahuia.
Power represented Refugio at the Convention of 1836 and signed the Texas Declaration of Independence. He sat on the committee that wrote the Constitution of the Republic of Texas, helped raise supplies for the Texas army, then founded the town of Aransas City (which no longer exists) in 1837. He represented Refugio again at the Second Congress and at the Convention of 1845.
Hobart Huson, “Hewetson, James,” Handbook of Texas Online, published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Anonymous, “Power and Hewetson Colony,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed January 29, 2021, published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Mrs. Patrick H. Welder, “Power, James,” Handbook of Texas Online, published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Language of Materials
This collection concerns the colonization of Texas, particularly James Power's and James Hewetson's request to their Mexican government for small islands across from their original grant. The documents reflect the concern of the Mexicans over the advance and encroachment of the Anglo-Americans.
- Power and Hewetson Collection, 1824-1835
- Ready To Publish
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description