Scope and Contents
The Alamo Items, 1836, 1903-1942 (bulk 1936) and undated, include newspaper clippings, correspondence, pamphlets, typescripts of letters and newspaper articles, and photostats of letters (1836) and newspaper articles, relating to the Alamo, its preservation, and its heroes. Additionally, the items include a poem,
The Alamo: a prize poem, by Mrs. Nettie Power Houston Bringhurst of San Antonio, Texas, the text of
Hymn of the Alamo by B. F. Potter, and a related clipping donated by J. Frank Dobie.
In addition are photocopies of key documents related to the management of the Alamo by the Daughters of the Republic of Texas, particularly Clara Driscoll. These documents include correspondence, fundraising materials, warranty deeds, and exchanges with Texas officials regarding efforts to maintain the Alamo.
- Creation: 1836
- Creation: 1903 - 1942
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
There are no use restrictions on this collection. Publisher is responsible for complying with copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Originally named Mission San Antonio de Valero, the Alamo was approved by the viceroy of Mexico in 1716 and constructed in 1744. The original purpose of the mission was to bring Christianity and education to the Indians, though it later became a fortress and the site of many battles and conflicts.
It is believed that the name Alamo originated when a company of Spanish soldiers from Álamo de Parras, Coahuila, Mexico, took over the building as its barracks in 1803. Others believe it comes from the Spanish word for “cottonwood,” a tree which grows nearby.
Mexican forces occupied the Alamo for many years before they surrendered the mission to Texan forces in late 1835. Just a few months later, in February of 1836, the Mexican army laid a siege to the Alamo. The siege lasted thirteen days and resulted in the death of all Texans involved. In January of 1841 the Republic of Texas returned the Alamo to the Catholic Church, but in 1848 the United States government took over the mission. In April 1883 Texas regained ownership and placed the Alamo in the care of the city of San Antonio. In 1905 the Texas legislature ordered the transfer of the mission to the Daughters of the Republic of Texas who, despite custody battles and boundary disputes, remain in custody of the Alamo today. Various sources of funding have been applied to the restoration of the Alamo, the largest being in connection with the Texas Centennial.
Source: Handbook of Texas Online, s.v.
Alamo, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/AA/uqa1.html (accessed June 29, 2010).
Language of Materials
The Alamo Items include newspaper clippings, correspondence, pamphlets, typescripts of letters and newspaper articles, and photostats of letters (1836) and newspaper articles, relating to the Alamo, its preservation, and its heroes.
1913; 1930; 1934; 1942; 1949; 2017-204
Some material has been separated to the Prints and Photograph Collection.
Basic processing and cataloging of this collection was supported with funds from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC) for the Briscoe Center’s
History Revealed: Bringing Collections to Light project, 2009-2011. Subsequent processing by Colleen Hobbs, January 2023.
- Daughters of the Republic of Texas. Alamo Mission Chapter (Organization)
- Texas. Legislature. (Organization)
- Bringhurst, Antoinette Power Houston, 1852-1932 (Person)
- Potter, B. F. (Person)
- Driscoll, Clara, 1881-1945 (Person)
- Alamo Items, 1836, 1903-1942
- Ready To Publish
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- January 2023: Addition of AR 2017-204 by Colleen Hobbss