W. G. Sharp collection
Scope and Contents
The W. G. Sharp Collection, 1817-1923, contains printed materials, correspondence, legal and business papers, and announcements related to sales of slaves and cotton, taxes, legal affairs, and the Civil War in San Augustine and Grimes Counties. The collection represents a number of famous Texans and Texas, including David G. Burnet, the Cartwright family, James Pinckney Henderson and family, Sam Houston, David Spangler Kaufman, Oran Milo Roberts, Thomas Jefferson Rusk, and William Barret Travis among others.
- Creation: 1817 - 1923
- Sharp, W. G. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
There are no use restrictions on this collection. Publisher is responsible for complying with copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
San Augustine, Texas, banker and civic leader W. G. Sharp was descended from George Washington Teel, one of the original 300 settlers Stephen F. Austin brought to San Felipe, Texas, in 1824 and moved to San Augustine in 1827. Sharp was a lifelong lover of Texas history and collected documents relating to Texas history.
1.67 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Miscellaneous documents collected by W. G. Sharp relating to the history of Texas and San Augustine city and county. The materials concern slave and cotton trading, legal affairs, and the Civil War, and also include mentions of many famous Texans and Texas families.
This collection was processed by Jane O'Brien, March 1967.
Basic processing and cataloging of this collection was supported with funds from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC) for the Briscoe Center’s
History Revealed: Bringing Collections to Light project, 2009-2011.
- Blount (Family) (Family)
- Cartwright (Family : Cartwright, Matthew, 1869-1960) (Family)
- Garrett (Family) (Family)
- Sharp (Family) (Family)
- Blount, Stephen W. (Stephen William), 1808-1890 (Person)
- Cartwright, Matthew, 1807-1870 (Person)
- Hanks, Wyatt, 1795-1862 (Person)
- Miller, William P. (William Parsons) [approximately 1802]-1862 (Person)
- Teel, George Washington, 1784-1856 (Person)
- Rusk, Thomas J. (Thomas Jefferson), 1803-1857 (Person)
- Kaufman, David S. (David Spangler), 1813-1851 (Person)
- Ford, John Salmon (Person)
- Roberts, Oran Milo, 1815-1898 (Person)
- Sharp, W. G. (Person)
- Henderson, James Pinckney, 1808-1858 (Person)
- Houston, Sam, 1793-1863. (Person)
- Burnet, David G. (David Gouverneur), 1788-1870 (Person)
- Travis, William Barret, 1809-1836 (Person)
- Bryan, Moses Austin, 1817-1895 (Person)
- W. G. Sharp Collection, 1817-1923
- Ready To Publish
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description