Found in 7 Collections and/or Records:
Comprising negative microfilm reproductions of correspondence, orders, invoices, muster rolls, and other military documents, the James A. Bourland Papers, 1841-1896 (bulk 1861-1865), primarily chronicles Bourland's military career as commander of Texas troops in the Red River Valley during the Civil War and on the Texas-Cherokee Nation frontier.
The Madge Williams Hearne collection contains letters, legal documents, resolutions, appointments, and proclamations related to Texas statesman Sam Houston. It mostly consists of letters written to Sam Houston and others by important historical figures, especially during the Revolutionary period in Texas (1835-1836) and the years of the Republic of Texas (1836-1846).
Collection of Sam Houston Hearne, great-grandson of Sam Houston, consists primarily of Houston family correspondence, letters sent and received by Houston during and directly after the Texas Revolution and during his Texas presidency, and correspondence between Houston and Guy M. Bryan concerning Stephen F. Austin.
Papers document the life of Sam Houston, including military service, as congressman from and governor of Tennessee, as commander-in-chief of the army in the Texas Revolution, as president of the Republic of Texas, as United States senator from and governor of the state of Texas. Many important state and national figures, especially Andrew Jackson, are represented, as well as personal friends and family members.
The Florence Fields Killen Papers, 1800-1992 (bulk 1948-1992), contain notes, hand-drawn and printed maps, etchings, correspondence, articles by Killen, publications, newspaper clippings, photographs, photocopies and typescripts, and printed material produced during Killen’s research on Cherokee Chief Richard Fields, the Fields family genealogy, and the history of Cherokee Indians in Texas.
In a letter dated October 26, 1839, P. F. Roddan provides a first-hand account of the Texas Cherokee War of 1839. The collection also contains three letters written by members of the Roddan family between 1846 and 1850.